media - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 11:03 AM Thread Starter
monk

Language: english, silence
My Mood: Amazed

media

if religious texts can't be converted into more modern media types will they become irrelevant or indigestible?

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-10-2018, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
monk

Language: english, silence
isn't it weird that some media - eg the bible - coming in incomprehensible book form, has lasted so long? people probably know more about game of thrones than the bible overall these days though. of course there is Christian music, for what it's worth.

Tao te ching is short and well translated and yet there are not many taoists.

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 06:42 PM
Permanently Banned

Depends on the definition of "convert". If convert means to accurately translate, then that would be to portray the general gist of it. But if religious texts are glossed over and sugar coated to hide a dark truth, then people are really just buying a lie.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-15-2018, 09:50 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy1984 View Post
if religious texts can't be converted into more modern media types will they become irrelevant or indigestible?
I think they have the whole bible available on youtube. And it wouldn't surprise me to have phone apps of bible verses. There should be scripts of other religions' texts on you tube as well

And, as long as there are libraries, there should be bibles and all other religious texts in there.

The way I see it, as long as there's a message to be spread, people will spread it...and I'm talking in general terms, not just religion.

"I might be great tomorrow, but hopeless yesterday"
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 09:05 AM
SAS Member

Language: english, tagolog, chinese
My Mood: Amused
of course it can be and already done many times

Shyra Marie
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 12:23 AM
Mr Bean Stig Soldier

Language: ASCII, T-SQL
My Mood: Angry
Angry

human glue

attachments

strings

reliance

Addiction

Obsession

Shrine of portabilityy, tinyness batteries... toyyzz... smalllerrr!! screeniez...
wipe, rub, lick all glass

finger up, grope every thing pretty, virtual. coax to trust all fancy animated graphixx!!! buy & pay for anythinngg Prretttyyy!! NOW! PAAyY!!

where's the wheelz??
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 03:31 AM
SAS Member

Language: English, ちょっとだけ日本語, Java, C#
Quote:
Religious texts ARE converted into more modern media types. You can access the texts of all the major religions online nowadays. And even if some more obscure religions refuse to convert their texts, their adherants will simply continue accessing them the old fashioned way.

Quote:
isn't it weird that some media - eg the bible - coming in incomprehensible book form, has lasted so long? people probably know more about game of thrones than the bible overall these days though. of course there is Christian music, for what it's worth.

Tao te ching is short and well translated and yet there are not many taoists.
The Bible is far from "incomprehensible" -- I read through and studied the entire King James version in my teens. Sure, it's a tedious read and most of it is frankly irrelevant today, but that doesn't stop the believers from insisting that it's "God's Word." Because that's what they were brainwashed to believe.

It's lasted so long thanks to indoctrination. Religion is all about location, circumstance and numbers; even if the Tao Te Ching is brilliantly translated and more relevant than the Bible, there simply aren't many Taoists in Western societies -- so not many children get indoctrinated into it. Christianity is currently the world's largest religion thanks to a long, bloody history that most modern Christians are content to ignore; just as the growth of Islam can be attributed to their violent expansion over the past millennium. It's still a crime to be an atheist in many countries around the world. Plus most people are unable or unwilling to overcome the brainwashing that they were subjected to since very early childhood; we're evolutionarily wired to trust our caregivers, so it's only natural for children to internalize everything they are taught.

And until very recently people didn't have access to outside views; most people grew up in small, insular communities where access to information was extremely limited. Even the Bible was only printed in Latin up until the 1500's -- heavily restricting the common peoples' access to it. I think it's very interesting to look at the statistical rise of religious "nones" over the past few decades -- since the invention and popularization of the Internet.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." -Ayn Rand