The Bible and different "Ages" - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Permanently Banned

My Mood: Amazed

The Bible and different "Ages"

Just a quick little thread i wanted to make. I was thinking about time in the bible. Why does the bible say its things in accordance to earth time? Does God bow down to human logic? Think about it, the Millenium is supposed to be 1000 years. Whaaat? Why 1000 years? By what definition of "year"? What about the 7 years of the end times hmm? Why 7? If God just made it one day less, there would be less suffering, but he makes it one day more in order to fit into a probably man-made system of mathematical order? Does God's plan really bend so much in order to fit in the tiny niche of human logic and expectations, whilst involving over 6,000 years of technically pointless suffering experienced by over 100,000,000,000 people? What about the 7 days of creation? Does God have to do things in days? Think about those poor plants that needed water but had to wait like another day or something lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 08:33 AM
SAS Member

Time is measured in countless different ways, and each is socially constructed. Since the Bible is a compilation of many different books (or narratives), expanding not only long periods of time, but also large distances, and all human activity that happens within, the way that time is measured has to be different and incoherent. But it probably made really good sense at the time it was written and in the place it was written.

by 2018, and all the knowledge we've accumulated, people should be aware of this inconsistent measurement of time, and should interpret the message despite it.

"I might be great tomorrow, but hopeless yesterday"
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 11:27 PM
Dum di dum

Language: Danish, English, tiny bit of German
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micronian View Post
by 2018, and all the knowledge we've accumulated, people should be aware of this inconsistent measurement of time, and should interpret the message despite it.
By 2018, and all the knowledge we've accumulated, people should be aware of all the inconsistencies and dismiss all of the supernatural aspects.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 09:39 AM
Resist

My Mood: Tired
Quote:
Originally Posted by sad1231234 View Post
Just a quick little thread i wanted to make. I was thinking about time in the bible. Why does the bible say its things in accordance to earth time? Does God bow down to human logic? Think about it, the Millenium is supposed to be 1000 years. Whaaat? Why 1000 years? By what definition of "year"? What about the 7 years of the end times hmm? Why 7? If God just made it one day less, there would be less suffering, but he makes it one day more in order to fit into a probably man-made system of mathematical order? Does God's plan really bend so much in order to fit in the tiny niche of human logic and expectations, whilst involving over 6,000 years of technically pointless suffering experienced by over 100,000,000,000 people? What about the 7 days of creation? Does God have to do things in days? Think about those poor plants that needed water but had to wait like another day or something lol.
I don't know how people can take the bible seriously when science contradicts these things. Bible maps the world to being 6k years old yet science tells us that life on Earth began millions of years ago. God created flora on the 3rd day, the sun on the 4th day and water on the 5th day. Plants cannot exist without sunlight or water. Various stories in the bible contradict science too. I'll never understand why people believe in what the bible says.

"One thing he (Trump) does know is how to get angry, white men to vote for him."- Bill Clinton

Without question the worst president we’ve ever had- Harry Reid on trump.

No question, Trump is racist.- America's heroine Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

All roads with you lead to Putin.- Pelosi to trump on his treason

#WeAccept
#MakeRacistsAfraidAgain
#NotMyPresident

Recognize human trafficking:
http://www.dhs.gov/blue-campaign
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-23-2018, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Permanently Banned

My Mood: Amazed
Quote:
Originally Posted by nubly View Post
I don't know how people can take the bible seriously when science contradicts these things. Bible maps the world to being 6k years old yet science tells us that life on Earth began millions of years ago. God created flora on the 3rd day, the sun on the 4th day and water on the 5th day. Plants cannot exist without sunlight or water. Various stories in the bible contradict science too. I'll never understand why people believe in what the bible says.
I guess people believe in it for different reasons. Desperation, confirmation bias, maybe they believe in it cause they like Jesus' teachings, etc, who knows. I do know that 2 billion people believing in the bible doesnt mean anything though, people need to look at it based on fact rather than what the masses choose to believe in.