How slow is Windows 10 for you? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 05:10 AM Thread Starter
I'm not OK (I promise)

Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語

How slow is Windows 10 for you?

Do you have any performance issues with it? And how does it compare to Windows 7 if you used that previously?

Looks like I may have to use it with my new build :/ it is possible to get Windows 7 working on it, but it will be more of a pain. Apparently there's a Windows 7 shell for Windows 10 at least.

Lots of people have been complaining about Windows 10, like it lagging and such even with decent hardware which would be particularly annoying for me since I'm upgrading a bunch of stuff and getting an ssd.

I'm posting this here because I don't think this forum is active enough now that I'll get many responses in geek central. Also this thread is kind of useless I suppose since how laggy it is will also depend on hardware, but I'm posting this here instead of on reddit or a tech forum because ???

May as well I guess.

Quote:
Please don't attempt to raid Nevada to 'see them aliens' as part of the internet's joke du jour, the US air force will not be amused.
Slavoj Žižek on the horrors of tulips.

🎸

Call me morbid, call me pale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 05:41 AM
The Groat King

It's slow and seems to get more slow with every update.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 08:12 AM
Born Of Blotmonađ

Language: South Martian, North Terran, & Lunarian
My Mood: Cynical
The only reason it’s a bit slow for me is because of my audio editing and video editing softwares...I’ve always maintained I need a laptop for art projects and one for casual browsing or use but I can’t afford it. My experience is that users have complained about every build of Windows since XP. Personally I just figure out the new features and get on with it mostly. My only annoyance has been with the updates of Windows 10, a couple times I had to reinstall it completely for full functionality when they’ve done tweaked something
post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 08:29 AM
Permanently Banned

I haven't noticed anything crazy but I've only used it for 2 years, and only at work. I'm getting 10 at home soon.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 08:41 PM
Spectacular Member

Windows 10 is the fastest Windows I have ever used. It has been much improved from it's original release. There are few a couple things I prefer from Windows 7, it's ability to recognize a suggested program to open a file and the menu's in Windows 7 weren't scattered all over the place.

Windows 10 did away with Windows ability to restore from an earlier state, now all it can do is reverse to an earlier state for files, not programs installed which is completely useless. I can't think of any situation where I would want files I deleted(even from recycling bin) that I would want restored, but plenty of reasons to want to restore to an earlier state. Yeah I can go and buy a third party program but I dont wanna spend the money on that. I will say that Windows 10 doesn't slow down over time much like EVERY Windows that came before it.

Other than that Windows 10 is far superior. Direct X12 is mostly only supported on Windows 10. Even Cortana which used to be completely useless isn't that bad at recognizing my voice now, still no where near as good or as useful as Google Assistant but hey it's a start.

Maybe part of the reason its so fast for me is that I use an m.2 NVME WD Black SSD. Though even with a SATA III SSD drive Windows 10 ran much quicker than every other Windows before it. I've been using Windows 10 since it came out.

"It's better to be prepared for an opportunity and not have one than to have an opportunity and not be prepared." -- Whitney Young Jr.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 12:29 AM
ssɐlƃ ƃuᴉʞool ǝɥʇ ɥƃnoɹɥ┴

My Mood: Inspired
The last Windows version I had a lot of experience with, prior to Windows 8, was Vista. I was not very impressed with Vista, I mean, I had worst, but it was not spectacular, it was better than win 98, ME, but I preferred XP over it. I quickly abandoned it, and used linux for a while, until I purchased a new computer with Win 8 on it. So I don't really have much experience to compare win 10 vs 7, all I can really say, is this is the best version of Windows, I, have personally used since Win 3.11.. it is incredibly responsive, has very few crashes, and handles almost everything I throw at it. I even have it running on a really cheap and outdated tablet, and while performance is not Kosher on that, it is good enough to play a few games, watch videos, and browse the web. I have it running on another laptop, that came with windows 8, and it runs better than win 8 did.

If I felt the need to run Win 7, I think I would just move on to Linux, which would run better, and could run almost anything I wanted to on it through wine.

Live and let live
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
"Whoever fights monsters should
see to it that in the process he does not become a
monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss,
the abyss will gaze back into you."

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

http://zbox.neocities.org/
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 01:05 AM
Flying Backwards

My Mood: Relaxed
At this point, I'm so disgusted with Microsoft that if I had to start over right now I'd seriously think about biting the bullet and trying to live with Linux. They've been complete A-holes ever since they tried to force that whole Windows 8 thing on everyone. Then with W10 they got even more aggressive and all that stuff about the telemetry and spying and forced updates was a complete turnoff. **** them. Also it used to be if you bought a PC with Windows on it, it came with a DVD or CD and you could do a complete reinstall anytime with absolutely no issues even if your hard drive completely failed and you had to install a new one. I'm pretty sure they don't give you that option anymore and most store bought PCs come with just a recovery partition. Don't like it. Don't like anything about the direction MS has gone. The only thing they have going for them with me is it's almost impossible to use Linux if you like software that was written for Windows.

And now they are going to stop supporting Windows 7 at all, which they know damn well a lot of people are still using Windows 7 and prefer it and don't want Windows 10. Which is why they're doing it. **** them in the *** sideways again. What a bunch of complete scumbags.

------------

In case of emergency, my husk can be used as a flotation device.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 02:52 AM
Irreversibly Invisible

My Mood: Brooding
I haven't had any issues with it. I got it around the time I got my current computer (also an SSD), and I haven't had any issues with lagging. I only use my computer for the internet and word processing programs, though.

Also, I really dislike the automatic updates. I understand why they do that (so they don't get sued), but there have been times when it wouldn't let me shut my laptop down without installing the update, even though I needed to put my computer in my bag and bolt out the door.

An actual suffering strengthens,
As sinews do, with age.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 03:00 AM
SAS Member

I don't think it was before, but definitely not when I got the SSD drive [they're awesome].
(I mostly just open dozens of tabs and documents, etc).

Ma 'alena
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 03:07 AM
bipolar

Seems okay to me.
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 03:52 AM Thread Starter
I'm not OK (I promise)

Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
Hm OK so some mixed results here but that may be due to hardware issues from the sounds of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noca View Post
Windows 10 is the fastest Windows I have ever used. It has been much improved from it's original release. There are few a couple things I prefer from Windows 7, it's ability to recognize a suggested program to open a file and the menu's in Windows 7 weren't scattered all over the place.

Windows 10 did away with Windows ability to restore from an earlier state, now all it can do is reverse to an earlier state for files, not programs installed which is completely useless. I can't think of any situation where I would want files I deleted(even from recycling bin) that I would want restored, but plenty of reasons to want to restore to an earlier state. Yeah I can go and buy a third party program but I dont wanna spend the money on that. I will say that Windows 10 doesn't slow down over time much like EVERY Windows that came before it.

Other than that Windows 10 is far superior. Direct X12 is mostly only supported on Windows 10. Even Cortana which used to be completely useless isn't that bad at recognizing my voice now, still no where near as good or as useful as Google Assistant but hey it's a start.

Maybe part of the reason its so fast for me is that I use an m.2 NVME WD Black SSD. Though even with a SATA III SSD drive Windows 10 ran much quicker than every other Windows before it. I've been using Windows 10 since it came out.
Yeah that restore change does seem annoying.

I'm hoping to get an m.2 nvme ssd as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonebox View Post
The last Windows version I had a lot of experience with, prior to Windows 8, was Vista. I was not very impressed with Vista, I mean, I had worst, but it was not spectacular, it was better than win 98, ME, but I preferred XP over it. I quickly abandoned it, and used linux for a while, until I purchased a new computer with Win 8 on it. So I don't really have much experience to compare win 10 vs 7, all I can really say, is this is the best version of Windows, I, have personally used since Win 3.11.. it is incredibly responsive, has very few crashes, and handles almost everything I throw at it. I even have it running on a really cheap and outdated tablet, and while performance is not Kosher on that, it is good enough to play a few games, watch videos, and browse the web. I have it running on another laptop, that came with windows 8, and it runs better than win 8 did.

If I felt the need to run Win 7, I think I would just move on to Linux, which would run better, and could run almost anything I wanted to on it through wine.
I'm having to use vista on my laptop right now (since it is vista, and I'm having to use my laptop.) A lot of the software won't work anymore on it becasue it's too old I noticed like skype and steam also can't install a more up to date version of chrome now than I already had installed lol. Apparently steam stopped being usable in July so not that long ago actually.

I updated to windows 7 on my current PC (not the laptop,) back in 2010 because I got it free from my uni. Before that along with vista I'd used Windows XP and 98. May have used 95 at some point as well. I've used many of the Windows ones throughout the years at school or the school my mum worked at, and one time while trying to help my grandma make a PC she had work as a child... Can't remember what operating system that had either 98 or 95.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave View Post
At this point, I'm so disgusted with Microsoft that if I had to start over right now I'd seriously think about biting the bullet and trying to live with Linux. They've been complete A-holes ever since they tried to force that whole Windows 8 thing on everyone. Then with W10 they got even more aggressive and all that stuff about the telemetry and spying and forced updates was a complete turnoff. **** them. Also it used to be if you bought a PC with Windows on it, it came with a DVD or CD and you could do a complete reinstall anytime with absolutely no issues even if your hard drive completely failed and you had to install a new one. I'm pretty sure they don't give you that option anymore and most store bought PCs come with just a recovery partition. Don't like it. Don't like anything about the direction MS has gone. The only thing they have going for them with me is it's almost impossible to use Linux if you like software that was written for Windows.

And now they are going to stop supporting Windows 7 at all, which they know damn well a lot of people are still using Windows 7 and prefer it and don't want Windows 10. Which is why they're doing it. **** them in the *** sideways again. What a bunch of complete scumbags.
Yeah I don't like how they've aggressively pushed it either. I was considering a Ryzen amd cpu since it turns out I will need to get a new one and motherboard to run an ssd (so much cheaper than Intel too the cpu I was looking at supposedly runs better than my current one according to benchmark sites and is about a 1/4 of the price even though I bought my cpu in 2010... I just checked on amazon.co.uk even. Will have to check more stuff comparison wise but wtf,) and then later discovered (though I only read about this briefly,) that although it technically supports Windows 7 Microsoft have supposedly made it a pain to install you have to use a ps/2 keyboard or mouse or something to do it then there are other issues later on with updates.

It has been a while since Windows 7 was released but apparently vista extended support didn't end till 2017, which was ages after 7 came out so yeah they're really pushing 10 (but then we already knew this because they offered free updates before and you can still get it free on their site it seems.)

I saw people mention telemetry but apparently that stuff was on Windows 7 as well. (After an update or something?) It's very hard to stop people taking info from you now. I don't particularly care about them taking hardware info the problem generally is with what info they can get access to. Also with performance stuff apparently it slows things down.

That's the direction software/hardware people go in now, with people becoming increasingly connected to technology lots of people are looking to firstly exploit that and also react with surveillance paranoia to threats.

It's actually (as most US corporations are,) violating GDPR but they probably don't really care. Technically this website is obligated to delete all European members data if requested lol but that's not going to happen either.

I will probably give it a go though I'm not keen on the interface. I don't really see why they need to design one interface to work across devices but at least there's still an option to alter the appearance. I don't really mind that aspect if they include customisation options.

I did think about trying Linux but I think I'm too lazy atm and Windows is more convenient for gaming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firestar View Post
I haven't had any issues with it. I got it around the time I got my current computer (also an SSD), and I haven't had any issues with lagging. I only use my computer for the internet and word processing programs, though.

Also, I really dislike the automatic updates. I understand why they do that (so they don't get sued), but there have been times when it wouldn't let me shut my laptop down without installing the update, even though I needed to put my computer in my bag and bolt out the door.
Yeah I've heard people complaining about that, I'm going to try and see if I can turn stuff off. I think the creator update at least can be stopped somehow (and I've heard lots of bad things about that in regards to it messing up certain games etc.)

Quote:
Please don't attempt to raid Nevada to 'see them aliens' as part of the internet's joke du jour, the US air force will not be amused.
Slavoj Žižek on the horrors of tulips.

🎸

Call me morbid, call me pale
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 04:58 AM
Zodiac Sign: LEO!!!

My Mood: Angelic
Just use win 7 till about 2027 lol. It's not as if it WONT work. It probably still will. I used XP till about , what 2017? When they stopped it support in 2014? It's probably more important to keep antivirus stuff up to date than it is an OS.

There isn't going to be a Windows 11. They're just going to keep updating 10 indefinitely.... We'll see.

Or just use some other thing like a Chromebook or so they say.

Waiting for a beam to break through here,
A chain-way vision bright and clear,
This must be it,
Longed for Bliss,
First it was so quiet and now I know I am not alone in here.

If you can read this, you must look at my profile page. I like people who have attention to detail, and curiosity. Have a look, the lion's torso is on diplay :-p
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 05:48 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Fine
I liked the functionality of w7 more than w10.

But for me w10 feels faster.

It is difficult for me to imagine a pc that can't operate properly with w10; I just bought a 240€ laptop (for school) that runs everything just fine on w10...

"If you need a safe space, see a therapist" - Jordan Peterson
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 07:31 AM
SAS Member

I don't notice any major speed differences. I dislike the ui in comparison to 7 though. All the extra bs, the notifications, so on. The updates are irritating as well. They seem to be a lot more frequent, you can't turn them off (unless you have one of the pro or enterprise versions), the system is aggressive about forcing you to implement them, and the real problem, they regularly fail to install and cause this update loop that sometimes fixes itself and sometimes requires a system restore. Apparently these problems are not uncommon.

I do like the custom tailored fancy photos for every time you log in, those are sure nice to look at.
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 08:10 AM
Flying Backwards

My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by KILOBRAVO View Post
There isn't going to be a Windows 11. They're just going to keep updating 10 indefinitely.... We'll see.
Well, basically, what they're trying to do is just plain kill the PC. We already know MS doesn't WANT you to keep using the same OS forever because there are 10 examples of them trying to make you pay them more in the past.

So when they say "indefinitely" they just mean until the PC completely goes away. Which is why they threw their weight behind the new interface. They were basically announcing their intention to abandon the desktop market. There isn't gonna be a Windows 11 because people won't be using desktops anymore by that time.

------------

In case of emergency, my husk can be used as a flotation device.
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 08:23 AM
Bleep blorp blop bip boop

My Mood: Lurking
It's not bad at all. (I support/maintain 100+ Windows 10 workstations). I like Windows 10 better than Windows 7. I grew up with dial-up Internet though so whenever people complain about network slowness, it's hard for me to take them seriously most of the time.

You are the wave, I am the naked island.
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 09:09 AM
All Nightmare Long

My Mood: Twisted
Don't know. I'm on windows 7 still.

Enjoy your programming
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 11:03 AM
SAS Member

Runs great on my laptop. No problems
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 04:29 AM
Zodiac Sign: LEO!!!

My Mood: Angelic
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillYouStopDave View Post
Well, basically, what they're trying to do is just plain kill the PC. We already know MS doesn't WANT you to keep using the same OS forever because there are 10 examples of them trying to make you pay them more in the past.

So when they say "indefinitely" they just mean until the PC completely goes away. Which is why they threw their weight behind the new interface. They were basically announcing their intention to abandon the desktop market. There isn't gonna be a Windows 11 because people won't be using desktops anymore by that time.
The computer as we know it as desktops will probably be around a long time for places that use terminals and controller computers that use embedded os. Places like industry and retail point of sale things. They just recently installed a whole bunch of new point of sale stuff at my workplace which looked like windows embedded 7 when I got a chance to look at someone setting it up which I think is supported till 2022? Windows xp embedded was supported until only a few months ago.

I'm using my desk top less now. I have just tablets that I use 95% of the time. I find YouTube way better in a designated app on a tablet for that purpose.

Anyway, there nothing to stop you using windows 98 or even 95 on an old PC that you might only use for word processing or spreadsheets etc etc. This updating all the time nonsense is ONLY really pertinent if the pc is connected to the internet.

Waiting for a beam to break through here,
A chain-way vision bright and clear,
This must be it,
Longed for Bliss,
First it was so quiet and now I know I am not alone in here.

If you can read this, you must look at my profile page. I like people who have attention to detail, and curiosity. Have a look, the lion's torso is on diplay :-p
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-24-2019, 06:19 AM
-

Windows 10 itself I don't have that many issues with. The most I don't like is the fact when clicking to search on the menu bar and having it look like an app can slow it down a little bit. Otherwise, the opinions of it being overall slow and messy before I got it seemed to not have been the case when actually trying it. I still prefer Windows 7, though.