Important Presentation at Work - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
one stop away

Important Presentation at Work

I got the news last weekend that I have to make a very formal 2 hour presentation for work today.

So I have been terrified of this since I got that memo. I've been working all weekend trying to make the presentation perfect and I don't think its anywhere near as good as it ought to be. I had to take a xanex last night due to a massive panic attack and I'd take one again today if they didn't make me feel so groggy and out of sorts. There's no way I can present on drugs. I just have to ride it out.

My boyfriend has helped me deal with this, and he's even given me pointers on this presentation since he's had to do things like it before. But he doesn't really understand how scary it is. I know people here do. I've had to deal with my limbs twitching all night, my head spinning, my heart racing--the whole thing. I'm afraid every single member of my audience is going to HATE ME and look down on me after I finish giving the presentation.

I've just got to keep telling myself that I am not the sum of my mistakes.
God I hope I don't throw up or pass out or just freeze up there. I've gotten okay at giving presentations in the past but not like this. Somebody tell me I'm not going to die, that I'm going to get through these next 2 hours in one piece--please?

"You are the only light there is for yourself, my friend."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 12:04 AM
SOS Member

Don't worry mate, 2 hours is like 2 minutes when you do the presentation.LOL

I've always feel very nervous even it is a 15-20 minutes presentation of my research proposal or research findings. The last presentation I done was on April 13th for my research findings. Oh, I went to an interview for a academic post that required me to conduct a mock lecture during the interview. It was the most difficult time in my life but it finished without I even realize it.

So cool down. It might be tough for us but just do it for the sake of your work. You can do it, really.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 04:52 AM Thread Starter
one stop away

Thanks Jim. I made it through okay even though I was sweating so much!

Presentations scare me to death. I was told I did all right, but of course don't believe that.

This just cements the idea that my SA is the top mental issue in my life. When something makes me anxious in that way (like this presentation) everything else I'm trying to do in life just flies out the window. I've been trying to diet and I had lost a good amount of weight until this weekend..now I'm pretty much right back where I started from if not in a worse place (because I stress eat)

And you know what is sad? I know that things like this aren't worth worrying about to the degree I'm worrying about them. In the long run, this presentation will mean nothing. Hell, next week the presentation will mean nothing. I wish I could look at it that way when it's staring me in the face but I never can. I always freak out.

"You are the only light there is for yourself, my friend."

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 06:30 AM
SOS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda View Post
Thanks Jim. I made it through okay even though I was sweating so much!

Presentations scare me to death. I was told I did all right, but of course don't believe that.

This just cements the idea that my SA is the top mental issue in my life. When something makes me anxious in that way (like this presentation) everything else I'm trying to do in life just flies out the window. I've been trying to diet and I had lost a good amount of weight until this weekend..now I'm pretty much right back where I started from if not in a worse place (because I stress eat)

And you know what is sad? I know that things like this aren't worth worrying about to the degree I'm worrying about them. In the long run, this presentation will mean nothing. Hell, next week the presentation will mean nothing. I wish I could look at it that way when it's staring me in the face but I never can. I always freak out.
You're probably right. SA is top mental issue for me too. It prevents me from doing a good presentation no matter how much effort and preparation I invested before the presentation. Not only in terms of presentation, but with the whole social life as well. It's like a thick and tall wall that prevents me from getting friends and lovers. Sometimes we might feel totally helpless.

Good luck mate.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-30-2011, 12:41 PM
SAS Member

I find that when I'm confident on a subject, confident in my abilities to speak on them, that I can deal fairly well. It's those moments that I'm put on a spot with a weak argument, or feel that I don't have a plan or course of action and have to improvise that I get VERY anxious.

I have to do these types of things about once a quarter. So I make sure I know my numbers, I prepare for every scenario and anticipate every possible question. This helps me tremendously. It's not fool proof, but it does help.