"Canned" on first day for being "too quiet" - Page 2 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-22-2013, 06:18 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ded Negatives View Post

Then the temp agency calls me right as I'm going home this afternoon to tell me the place called them and doesn't think I'm a good fit for the job. I'm "really nice," but I'm "a little too quiet," and they prefer someone with more receptionist experience (it's been three years since I've done any kind of receptionist work, I might add).

So I technically got canned on the first day of a work assignment because I'm not the obnoxiously peppy, happy, chipper type.
I can totally sympathize with you!! I have been working with temp agencies on and off for years, and I have been let go from companies after 1, 2 and 4 days at assignments that were supposedly "long term." Even though it was only temp work, it was very upsetting and a horrible experience. The time after I got let go after only 1 day, I actually told the temp agency that I didn't want to work with them anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan the man View Post
Oh, I see Edward addressed what I thought above. Btw, I really dislike temp agencies/employment agencies. I know sometimes you have to use them if your not getting anywhere, but these people tend to be snakes in general.
I agree, I hate working with temp agencies, but sometimes I have gone to them out of desperation after months of searching for permanent work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeilingStarer View Post
Do you really need to be an extrovert to lift boxes?
I know exactly what you mean, my last temp job I was insulted for being too quiet and not "hanging out" with ppl, but the job consisted entirely of processing work over a computer. There was zero human contact needed for the job, so I didn't understand what the need was to insult my personality.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 08:54 AM
SAS Member

What a terrible, terrible thing to have happen. And how hard it must be not to take it personally. The only thing I can think of to say is that if they were wanting that peppy, always-got-a-big-grin kind of cheerleader girl, you would probably been miserable the whole time you were there. The work world is full of fakery and hypocrisy. Maybe you didn't kiss *** enough? I find that people in general are intimidated by us quiet types. I've been thought of as snobby, snotty, conceited, think I'm too good for everyone, stand-offish etc etc etc., when really all that I was was - painfully shy. I'm fine when I meet someone for the first time, it's the what comes after small talk that I'm horrible at. Maybe you can take some solace in the fact that it must not have been meant for you anyway, hold your head high, and go on. I know, easier said than done......
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-24-2013, 08:51 AM
SAS Member

[QUOTE=Anticipate;1066132897]I can totally sympathize with you!! I have been working with temp agencies on and off for years, and I have been let go from companies after 1, 2 and 4 days at assignments that were supposedly "long term." Even though it was only temp work, it was very upsetting and a horrible experience. The time after I got let go after only 1 day, I actually told the temp agency that I didn't want to work with them anymore.

You don't know if the employer lied to the employee or lied to the Unemploymt office. Although it's upsetting to think about, the employer may have been lying to the unemploymt office because the man would be more likely to get unemploymt if it was due to a layoff. If he said that the man was fired for cause, he may not have been able to collect unemploymt.

But I do know the full story. The employer lied to the employee. If he wanted to allow him to collection unemployment he doesn't have to give the unemployment office any more info than he was let go and not for cause. But you are missing the point and distracting from the helpful nature of this forum. Not every time an employee is separated from a company is the employee always at fault. Not everything a company tells the employee is always true.

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-24-2013, 09:17 AM
Permanently Banned

That's not a nice thing to go through. I guess it was a pre-requisite for them to have someone 'bubbly' and extroverted on front of desk. Don't let it get you down. It probably feels like they judged you in a negative way but for these companies 'business is business'. I bet they have a high turnover of staff.
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-24-2013, 07:18 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardc View Post
But I do know the full story. The employer lied to the employee. If he wanted to allow him to collection unemployment he doesn't have to give the unemployment office any more info than he was let go and not for cause. But you are missing the point and distracting from the helpful nature of this forum. Not every time an employee is separated from a company is the employee always at fault. Not everything a company tells the employee is always true.
Sorry I did not mean harm to anyone. My only intent in contributing to this thread was to sympathize with the OP. I did not mean to insult your friend and I don't know the full story.
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-24-2013, 07:38 PM
SAS Member

Unless an employee has a poor attitude or is obviously incompetent it just seems like very poor form for an employer to only give someone 1 day to settle in and learn a new job. Sorry to the OP for having such a sad first day at a new job.
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-24-2013, 11:18 PM
SAS Member

It's a loudmouths world. Apparently you're not allowed to be introvert or asocial. You must talk talk talk and laugh and giggle and dont forget to SMILE because its just a bright sun shiny day. You have to understand they just want to know you. They just wanna know. You cant keep yourself to yourself. Lets not be selfish shall we? Lets just have a big group hug everyone! Yeah! Friendship power! Love! Hope! Joy! All together now! And dont forget to SMILE!
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-25-2013, 03:47 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony45 View Post
Unless an employee has a poor attitude or is obviously incompetent it just seems like very poor form for an employer to only give someone 1 day to settle in and learn a new job. Sorry to the OP for having such a sad first day at a new job.
I agree. It's also bad management to waste company time going through the process of hiring someone and then letting them go after a day. I doubt the OP was the only one who had a bad experience with that company.
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-28-2013, 05:37 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenvoice View Post
It's a loudmouths world. Apparently you're not allowed to be introvert or asocial. You must talk talk talk and laugh and giggle and dont forget to SMILE because its just a bright sun shiny day. You have to understand they just want to know you. They just wanna know. You cant keep yourself to yourself. Lets not be selfish shall we? Lets just have a big group hug everyone! Yeah! Friendship power! Love! Hope! Joy! All together now! And dont forget to SMILE!
If this world had a label on it, it would say "Designed for extroverts".