Social Anxiety Forum

-   Work (/forum/f273/)
-   -   Getting a job (/forum/f273/getting-a-job-2220803/)

Hh456 02-26-2019 05:26 AM

Getting a job

Hi,
I dropped out of university after one year due to SA and it has now been nearly a year since I left. I haven't had a job or done anything during this time. I moved back in with my parents and feel guilty for not contributing towards rent. I've applied for jobs but won't answer my phone if they ring about an interview, it's ridiculous. I really want to work but it's just the meeting new people/interviews/applying for jobs by going into the place which is holding me back. Not particularly sure what I am asking just wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation??

railcar82594 02-27-2019 04:38 PM

It doesn't sound like you're ready for a job if you're not answering the phone. The good thing is that you're still very young probably. This is the time you can afford to be foolish and take some embarrassment and at least people will still give you allowances because you're still practically a teen and have most of your adult lifetime ahead of you and everyone knows it. It gets much worse when you're years older and looking for a new job. My advice would be to think about when you have had enough, watch some "coach red pill" (www.youtube.com/channel/UC5tEELgWBfKbA9fVPRzBzPQ), and if you're ready to try school again , maybe look at some two year trade programs or associates at a community college (ex. technician, medical coding, accounting, etc.) where you can take more courses online these days. SA is tough and an unfair hurdle to school and work, but there are ways to work around or fight through it. If you want to get to work, there are other "out of the box" job types such as driving and delivering groceries or amazon turk to try that aren't as SA-inducing. Good luck.

jtd1974 03-01-2019 05:27 PM

Looking for a job and going to interviews are up there in my most hated things lol.

I can relate to what you say. I've been out of work for long peroids because i couldn't face it all.

I've found doing temp/casual work more achievable. It can be through an agency or directly with an employer.

I've had jobs like this where there was no actual interview. You just turned up for an induction, where they run through the duties, and then you're done, you start getting shifts.

It might not be the kind of job you'd want to do long term, but it could be the first step to get you started.

Good luck!