Life(Work) Implosion - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 02:46 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Life(Work) Implosion

Hi guys, this may end up a bit of a long read but I am really at the end of my tether.

It is all to do with my boss/job - since changing jobs in 2008 my life has been terrible. I used to work as a shop supervisor and that job was great, friendly co-workers that I could speak to about normal stuff, a manageable workload and good working hours. Sure there were bad things about it but nothing like my current job.

My boss is completely off the rails, here are a few traits which I find really hard to deal with: hyperactivity, ADHD, extreme arrogance, never listens to others opinions, forces their opinions down your throat and tries to bend your mind to the same opinion, always places the blame on others no matter what the situation, talks all day while not letting you get a word in and this is usally tied up with trying to discuss depressing and meaningless topics (which only holds me back from getting on with work) and is a M to F transgender, with me and the one co-worker being the only people my boss talks to (as friends in his/her life never stick around for very long) this is pretty much all I hear about day in day out, and while I have nothing wrong with transgenders - my boss is just such a horrible person, I can barely sit in the room while he/she rants, I can't even look them in the eye or bear to utter one word to them. I'm sure this comes from him/her being mentally abused by their father really badly, as his dad was a drunk horrible lunatic also (which means you'd think he/she'd try to be the opposite, sadly not!)

The job itself is depressing as well. I am a dental technician, we are contractors for dentist who construct dentures/crown + bridge/mouthguards etc. It is an extremely unrewarding job, if I was to try and list positives i'd struggle. I work 45 - 55 hrs a week and am only paid for 40 hrs, if I could work the usual hours I would, but there are so many deadlines I am forced to go in 2hrs early every day, with the one co-worker doing 35 - 40hrs, my boss doing 25 - 35hrs and his mother doing 5 - 10 hrs, they don't help out with anything. So with me doing all those hours you'd think i'd be getting paid well, sadly not I am the person that gets paid the least(with the hours I'm doing i'm getting less than minimum wage) - his mum get paid 200 more than me a month and all her petrol goes through the business card and she only works 2 days a week! We turnover around £11k a month and this isn't enough to cover 4 peoples wages and the materials bills etc as my boss spends money like no tomorrow (this month was about £1000 on stupid retro shoes). In the past my boss has wasted money on so much: such as trying to grow weed in his garage (which failed) and ended up being unsellable - probably about 5k wasted from that venture. There was also a phase where he/she bought Victorian postage stamps, 10k spent, sold for 7k. There are plenty of other times where I think what the hell are you doing such as using the business card (which is meant for paying suppliers) for personal items.

I feel like the burden is being left completely with me, I do all the bookwork/accounting/phone calls/organizing/marketing/most of the lab work - which involves being covered in plaster/arcylic/wax/pumice all day(lets say there are 3 stages to construct an appliance) i'm left to do 2 of the 3 stages, while my boss and coworker (who have a lot more experience than me) do a lot less. Also feel like I can't approach the boss as whenever I do I get shouted at/blamed for whatever the problems is.

We just got an email on friday from one of the larger companies we work with requesting that we comply with these new medical legislative guidlines and if we don't we lose the contract. I know this will be left to me to do and honestly I am burned out with no will left to go on. Obviously my boss doesn't do emails either so I know Monday will be depressing trying to tell them about this. I honestly don't want to go back after this week: I worked 12hr shifts Monday - Friday this week, as the one coworker was on holiday. This meant it was just me and the boss all week and of course he/she done the bare minimum and didn't even ask if I needed help, instead I just get shouted at when I make the slightest mistake (i'm burned out completely - surprised there aren't more).

Anyway enough of me moaning about life, can anyone help me out? I'm weak as f**k and just need to be told what to do. I know I need to get out of this job, but I feel trapped as if I leave the company will no doubt collapse.

Any advice would be appreciated, as I would love for life not to so depressing!

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 03:14 AM
SAS Member

I wouldn't worry about company's problems if you decide on leaving.
All I can suggest is start looking for another place to work, this boss sounds ridiculously unprofessional..
12 hour shifts... is that even legal? And here me complaining about working 8 hours in a laid back office >.>

You have to consider the possibility that God does not like you. He never wanted you. In all probability, he hates you. This is not the worst thing that can happen.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 04:22 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICat View Post
I wouldn't worry about company's problems if you decide on leaving.
All I can suggest is start looking for another place to work, this boss sounds ridiculously unprofessional..
12 hour shifts... is that even legal? And here me complaining about working 8 hours in a laid back office >.>
Hey, thanks for the reply, I doubt it is legal! UK Law is maximum 48hrs a week, this week I did 58 (and should really be in today and tomorrow to keep things ticking over, but i'm not letting my work eat away my weekend!) My boss is out of control, I feel like if I hand in my resignation notice he/she'll make my life an absolute hell anything from violence, verbal abuse to damaging cars/personal items. I know this as i've seen it done to others that have 'wronged' him/her in the past.

But, yep I'm pretty sure my days are numbered at this place and should really get looking for something else, all I know is if I make it through this surely whatever I go to next can't be as heartrendingly sad as the past few years!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-07-2014, 08:06 PM
ΓΤΖΜ

If you can do all this work by yourself then you should really start applying for other jobs as you seem to have the skills. I was actually going to tell you to start your own job and steal all his customers but I guess that's a bit too ballsy for you.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-09-2014, 10:37 PM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterridley View Post
If you can do all this work by yourself then you should really start applying for other jobs as you seem to have the skills.
I think that's an excellent suggestion! Given you can talk about how you worked overtime to get work done with minimum supervision, companies should feel lucky to hire you!

You have to consider the possibility that God does not like you. He never wanted you. In all probability, he hates you. This is not the worst thing that can happen.