Should I try to get SSI? Or work? - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Should I try to get SSI? Or work?

I have never been formally diagnosed with Social Anxiety disorder, but I'm sure I have that, along with general anxiety which can get quite bad, and depression(all never formally diagnosed). I'm okay in day to day life, except for not driving due to anxiety(I no longer have a license), and I'm happy socializing online except for a few people and being a loner. It's when it comes to work that I struggle. I was living with family and they supported me except for some minor work I did online(not remotely enough to live on or even taxable). But recently the family member is done supporting me so I have been thinking about jobs. I know I should likely avoid jobs that deal too much with the general public. I have a hard time being social and especially making eye contact, and talking. I haven't worked since 2010 and that was a custodial workstudy position at a college I attended, so it didn't involve much contact with people and back in those days I did not have social anxiety to quite the degree I do today. I've only had two other jobs, one of which told me I wasn't friendly enough(among a bunch other things)- and in those days, I didn't even have social anxiety.

I would like to try to work, but I get scared to apply for jobs especially ones that involve more public contact, because what if it doesn't work out? I do not know to what extent I can work or not. I do know I should probably avoid jobs like being a cashier or ones that deal with the general public a lot. I have anxiety too- as well as social anxiety- and would be anxious about jobs anyway. I don't really want to just give up on trying to work and get a formal diagnosis and then try to get SSI( I haven't worked enough for SSDI) but it might make the most sense in my sitiuation. It can take awhile to get SSI though and I have anxiety about finally getting a formal diagnosis of SA as well as anxiety/depression and taking medication( I was also told it might be hard to see a psychiatrist or someone other than a therapist right away due to waiting lists, and I need a diagnosis as soon as possible). Talking about my problems has never helped me and I've never felt impaired enough except when it comes to work( I finished college) to want to get professional help for these things. Paperwork and doctor/social service appointments and getting assistance cause me anxiety as do jobs( I get social anxiety about making phone calls, talking on the phone, dealing with people helping me get assistance, and general anxiety about making serious decisions). But I don't want a job not to work out due to Social Anxiety or anything else for that matter. I also can't drive and live in an area with limited public transportation so it can be hard to get to some jobs I am likely more suited to. Yes, I get SA about phone calls about jobs and places to live too..I just don't know..I'm in my early thirties.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 01:24 PM
monk

Language: english, silence
My Mood: Amazed
yeah do whatever you have to to survive.

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 07:44 AM
I'm not Dead...Yet

SSI is af hard to get.

You can work "easy to get" jobs like Amazon or UPS who hires anyone with a pulse and long as you have valid ID, but the catch is those jobs stink but someone people stick there and make a good living.

SSI also pays diddly (like $755) so unless you have a few house mates, it's not easy to live on. With all that said, I'm tired of working and would gladly take SSI or SSDI.

Someone could call me lazy, but I've worked jobs that the average person has walked clean off of. And I don't see the job quality improving anytime soon.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 05:19 PM
Permanently Banned

My Mood: Lonely
Try and work...those that I know of on SSI or trying to get on SSI don't want to be on it.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 10:17 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina86 View Post
I have never been formally diagnosed with Social Anxiety disorder, but I'm sure I have that, along with general anxiety which can get quite bad, and depression(all never formally diagnosed). I'm okay in day to day life, except for not driving due to anxiety(I no longer have a license), and I'm happy socializing online except for a few people and being a loner. It's when it comes to work that I struggle. I was living with family and they supported me except for some minor work I did online(not remotely enough to live on or even taxable). But recently the family member is done supporting me so I have been thinking about jobs. I know I should likely avoid jobs that deal too much with the general public. I have a hard time being social and especially making eye contact, and talking. I haven't worked since 2010 and that was a custodial workstudy position at a college I attended, so it didn't involve much contact with people and back in those days I did not have social anxiety to quite the degree I do today. I've only had two other jobs, one of which told me I wasn't friendly enough(among a bunch other things)- and in those days, I didn't even have social anxiety.

I would like to try to work, but I get scared to apply for jobs especially ones that involve more public contact, because what if it doesn't work out? I do not know to what extent I can work or not. I do know I should probably avoid jobs like being a cashier or ones that deal with the general public a lot. I have anxiety too- as well as social anxiety- and would be anxious about jobs anyway. I don't really want to just give up on trying to work and get a formal diagnosis and then try to get SSI( I haven't worked enough for SSDI) but it might make the most sense in my sitiuation. It can take awhile to get SSI though and I have anxiety about finally getting a formal diagnosis of SA as well as anxiety/depression and taking medication( I was also told it might be hard to see a psychiatrist or someone other than a therapist right away due to waiting lists, and I need a diagnosis as soon as possible). Talking about my problems has never helped me and I've never felt impaired enough except when it comes to work( I finished college) to want to get professional help for these things. Paperwork and doctor/social service appointments and getting assistance cause me anxiety as do jobs( I get social anxiety about making phone calls, talking on the phone, dealing with people helping me get assistance, and general anxiety about making serious decisions). But I don't want a job not to work out due to Social Anxiety or anything else for that matter. I also can't drive and live in an area with limited public transportation so it can be hard to get to some jobs I am likely more suited to. Yes, I get SA about phone calls about jobs and places to live too..I just don't know..I'm in my early thirties.
You should definitely begin to seek therapy and start taking medication. The right medication can change your life in ways you never thought possible and it can take a while to find the right one, so it's better to start immediately. I also suggest that you apply for SSI immediately because it can take over a year before you get to have a hearing or get your benefits, so once again, it's a matter of time and it's better to start now rather than later. If at some point in the future you decide that you want to work and don't need SSI, it will simply be deducted from your total earnings. But the point is that it's there in case you need it. Start taking these steps now because it will pay off later.