"slow" - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Unhappy

"slow"

I am 18 and just started working as a waitress. No previous experience, and my boss knew it when hired me. I worked just 3 days and got told that I "need to catch the speed up", which is understandable, since I just started. But at the same time, the boss gives me 1(!!!!) shift in a week. How does he expect me to catch the speed up if I am not getting to work at all???
+ got yelled on today for bringing the appetizers and the meal at the same time. Thats what everybody and always does, but just today people asked to not bring the meal before they'll finish the app AFTER the meal was cooked and ready to be served. How is it my fault they didnt say it at first place?
Again, its my first experience and I've never been told to serve this way so it was no way for me to find out how to do it.
I thought i worked pretty good since I got quite a bit of tips and people really like me...But now i feel worthless and dont even know if i can speed up IN A WEEK FOR A DAY...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 12:57 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Cheerful
Take what your boss said into consideration but also remember you just started this job and it takes a good 3-6 months for the average person to really get into the groove of things. Just keep doing your best each time you go into work eventually things will click. You have to make mistakes in order to learn from them and now you know in the future you might ask the customers if they would like their appetizer with their meal or before

Whatever it takes.. this is what I want. I will bring it to life. When you have commited to do whatever it takes then you by definition are unstoppable
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 01:07 AM
SAS Member

My sympathies. I don't think I could do that job. It seems like getting treated badly is an unfortunate part of it. You're pretty brave for doing it.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 01:09 AM
Cynical *******.

Wait, people get their apps at the same time as their meal? I have never seen that happen before. Must be a States thing, weird.

Bleach is mostly water, and we're mostly water, therefore we are bleach.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 01:16 AM
Mr Bean Stig Soldier

Language: ASCII, T-SQL
My Mood: Angry

You have it good!

I should have learned to be a mechanic of cars, taxis, trains, buses, helicopters, navy boats and others... high power control systems: escalators, elevators as it was shown to me in lectures of a mis-sold degrees on a hyper over-marketed jobless BSc

My nieces were waitresses and not hotel managers, married with kids and wealthy lawyer husband

My inept psychologists blamed me of a slow processing brain when I was lightspeed ahead of themselves

'Too late for me' is a simply-honed motto of mine

worker |<------recruiter / lawyer /----->| employer

LIFE = LUCK. No magic. someone made a fluffy subjective decision which affected you and will forever
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 02:21 AM
SAS Member

Sounds like this job is giving you a good taste of the joyous experiences to come in the wonderful world of work that we have all come to love so dearly.

Procedures will change. You will not be informed. This will be your fault.
Customers will want something done a different way. You will not be informed. This will be your fault.

Yay for work!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 03:14 AM
SAS Member

waitress seems like a nightmare job for someone with SA
Especially in America I get the sense costumers like to get on a small power trip bossing the staff around.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 03:28 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanova View Post
Wait, people get their apps at the same time as their meal? I have never seen that happen before. Must be a States thing, weird.
It's not.
It sounds like a "low-end restaurant" thing.
The same with bringing out someones meal 10 minutes before you bring out their gf's meal, or whatever. Poor decisions like this only happen at lower end places.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 07:26 AM
Yowie Wowie

Working for someone else sucks.

One "leader" a.k.a. manager will tell you to do one thing and another will tell you that way is not the right way.

Co-workers, including managers, will tell you how to do something correctly but then when you observe them, they don't do it correctly yet they will yell at you for not doing "it" right.

Work is a masochist's paradise.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-27-2014, 02:18 AM
Carpe Diem

Quote:
Originally Posted by kattte View Post
But at the same time, the boss gives me 1(!!!!) shift in a week. How does he expect me to catch the speed up if I am not getting to work at all???
SAME exact thing happened to me. After a couple of weeks of not doing super great overall, they cut my hours down to one shift a week. But whenever i go in and make a mistake, they'd get mad at me. I really don't know how they expect you to get better if you're barely even working there?
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-28-2014, 11:58 PM
SAS Member

Appetizers come out 15 minutes before the meal. Come on. lol

"To you, I am an Atheist. To god, I'm the loyal opposition."
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-29-2014, 01:12 AM
Permanently Banned

My Mood: Angelic
Slow workers pisses me off. You need to think of a way that can help you be faster. There are two kinds of people in this world one who thinks and ones who just do whatever. Sorry to say this but my coworkers are slow idiots.