Want out of the rat race that's low paying ( not enough to live on) entry level jobs - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Language: English
My Mood: Breezy

Want out of the rat race that's low paying ( not enough to live on) entry level jobs

My thing is... Most of the jobs that help you get out of this crazy rat race are either taylored for extroverts or I'm just not interested at all.

Like nursing ( I don't have the passion..plus schooling is hectic...my mom is doing that now)

Computer related jobs( not into it)

Phlebotomy ( I'm considering it but I hate needles and the sight of blood ....Idont want to waste my money on a certificate/field I won't do well in)

Customer service ( this is really decent. No blood ,needles and I wouldn't mind it I just have horrible phone skills. I would have to be thoroughly trained but I wouldn't mind it)

As I get older I just want a job that won't have me laboring from dawn to dusk to the point I can't enjoy life....

And that won't have me working for pennies

Please help.

We are in a reverie/ And everything you thought you knew isn't what it seems/ Only truth will set you free/ And I would never lie to you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

I also thought about nail tech job ( I wouldn't mind nails but I hate feet) or illustration since I'm into art but it's till not what I'd want to do since is be drawing for others and not myself.

We are in a reverie/ And everything you thought you knew isn't what it seems/ Only truth will set you free/ And I would never lie to you
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

I really want to kick myself...instead of listening to my mom about going into the medical field...I could have already been an animator making good money to sustain myself. * Heavy Sigh*

I just don't know what to do now.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 01:43 AM
Cooking Chicken

I work jobs with 6 days a week + OT just to make 700$ a week. It sucks. You get 4 days a month to live your life. I was looking for a way out, but now I don't care. I just waste time on my days off anyway.

Have you looked into applying for a role within a government bureaucracy? Once you get in, those jobs probably require the least amount of hours for the most moolah. Maybe a custodian at a community college or university? State universities sometimes have a pool of part-time temp employees for grounds keeping and such, which could be a way in.

How about picking up a trade and joining a union?
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exceptionalfool View Post
I work jobs with 6 days a week + OT just to make 700$ a week. It sucks. You get 4 days a month to live your life. I was looking for a way out, but now I don't care. I just waste time on my days off anyway.

Have you looked into applying for a role within a government bureaucracy? Once you get in, those jobs probably require the least amount of hours for the most moolah. Maybe a custodian at a community college or university? State universities sometimes have a pool of part-time temp employees for grounds keeping and such, which could be a way in.

For a trade i was thinking of OTA ( occupational therapy assistant) but getting in is hard gpa is kinda low... for 2.0 colleges id have to go out of state... idk but i wonder how id make it in a different state...which is where phlebotomy certificate comes in but i just dont want to waste money on a certificate i cant use because im too squeamish..

hmm..as much as id hate it idk was thinking of maybe being an art teacher lmao... uhg
but yeah im gonna research gvernment jobs and trades.

i have found some jobs like mail clerk,scheduling center dispatcher...ect
so well see where this goes. wish me luck.

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 02:30 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Ive been thinking about being an art teacher but one thing i have trouble with is projecting my voice..its so quiet im straining it to speak up..idk...im 27 and feel so lost career wise.

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 02:50 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

i kind of feel like crying. i feel i wont find that job that suits me well...I think ill just have to force myself to do a job ...just to damn survive

huuuuuuuuu -_-

post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 08:42 AM
I Am Second

Language: American
My Mood: Inspired
I always tell people to chase their dreams...never settle. If you want a certain career go for it.

~ How can I build Your kingdom if I'm building my own
How can You be my treasure if I'm digging for gold
How can You be my fire if my heart has grown cold
How can You be my future if I've made this my home ~ Love & the Outcome
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 11-30-2018, 05:11 PM
Cooking Chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverie101 View Post
Ive been thinking about being an art teacher but one thing i have trouble with is projecting my voice..its so quiet im straining it to speak up..idk...im 27 and feel so lost career wise.
Man, that's young. You have all kinds of time to try things out and get something started for yourself. I'm 34 and while I've been able to explore a lot and am somewhat on the right track now, I still think "Man I'm so old. If only I started this at 27." The next guy who is 10 years older is gonna say "If only I started at 35."

The best time to start is now and you shouldn't give up on being an art teacher only because it challenges your weaknesses. Challenging our weaknesses is probably what we were made to do. If you settle for a job that is easy and innocuous to your fears, you might just become very bored and dissatisfied eventually, not growing to your full potential.

Good luck.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-01-2018, 12:54 AM
Permanently Banned

My Mood: Amazed
I guess you have to try to enjoy your work. Like for me with physical jobs i kinda enjoy them because your mind is free to think about anything. So its like free time in a sense. Or if you want to help people, choose customer service. **** the greedy company, just do it to brighten people's and stuff. You know what i mean? Life is a ***** and most of us will slave away at jobs we despise, and a lot of us might never get friends/partners etc. So just find enjoyment in what you can. And find a passion in life, and search for some amazing people to live for! There isnt really any other way out of it. I mean you could try to get a good career and everything, or start a business, but personally for me i feel like that stuff is just too complex and too much effort. But go for it if you really want to have a decent income. I live in Australia where the income is decent here so i dont know the struggles of having a low pay job, but i'm sure there must be some way out of it.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 11:32 AM
SAS Member

I understand what you're going through. My advice is go with what makes you happy. Right now I'm indecisive about what to do with my life. I got a traveling job that's good, but I also want to pursue a career in the electrical field. I completed the training already it's just hard finding a job with little experience in the field. I enjoy the traveling part but the work doesn't make me happy. The biggest problem I have is the socializing part. I know that I'm a good worker but my anxiety gets in the way. So I say pursue a career in something you enjoy doing that pays well.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-02-2018, 12:38 PM
monk

Language: english, silence
My Mood: Amazed
I dont like to be around people at work. every job I've had made me stressed and uncomfortable every day. I have just been surviving, and it's not good for my mental health. there is no good job for me. every career I wanted to do, I studied but I couldn't get started.

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin001 View Post
I always tell people to chase their dreams...never settle. If you want a certain career go for it.
yeah...I think i may just do Occupational therapy..its just i worry about so many thing. Like if my anxiety will act up being in a different state and alone. What if i have trouble there yaddah yaddah.
But i feel it'll be worth it.

Im trying to go armed with a phlebotomy certificate so I can work part time and make decent money(part time) if i have to.

I may have to get a 2nd job because if i get into a program by fall 2019...the current job i have ill only have about 4-5k when I leave...

but OTA will be really worth it in the end to me.

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 03:42 PM
Optimism Prime~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverie101 View Post
I really want to kick myself...instead of listening to my mom about going into the medical field...I could have already been an animator making good money to sustain myself. * Heavy Sigh*

I just don't know what to do now.
I'm not too sure about the animator idea tbh, I know two people (one of whom was my brother) who were into 3D animation and had to move to a different career after a couple of years.

There's very little job security, tons of over time and the pay isn't that great, at least not compared to most technical jobs. My brother instead went into software testing/web development and he says it's the best decision he's ever made.

You mentioned being an Art teacher in this thread I noticed, that's not too bad from what I've heard. You can improve your voice and how you come across to other people as well, it is something you can fix, so don't worry too much about that part and just go for it I say.

slow progress is still progress.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-03-2018, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper Samurai View Post
I'm not too sure about the animator idea tbh, I know two people (one of whom was my brother) who were into 3D animation and had to move to a different career after a couple of years.

There's very little job security, tons of over time and the pay isn't that great, at least not compared to most technical jobs. My brother instead went into software testing/web development and he says it's the best decision he's ever made.

You mentioned being an Art teacher in this thread I noticed, that's not too bad from what I've heard. You can improve your voice and how you come across to other people as well, it is something you can fix, so don't worry too much about that part and just go for it I say.
Well my actual dream is just being an artist..im working on a comic however its hard with anxiety coupled with the hours I work. Also, my focus is actually on OTA i never wanted to be an art teacher or work for someone else in their studio ... but those 2 are my main dreams. OTA will help me be the artist I desire to be.

and thanks for the shared experience after reading that guess im glad i didnt pursue animation lol

post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-06-2018, 10:31 PM
Born Of Blotmonađ

Language: South Martian, North Terran, & Lunarian
My Mood: Cynical
SA has definitely narrowed my job prospects without question too. I don’t work the jobs I have because I like them or they pay well, I work them because it’s what I can manage with my issues
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 09:01 AM
Resist

My Mood: Tired
Quote:
I'm just not interested at all
IMO, no matter what you do, a job is going to get boring so chase the job that pays the more.

"One thing he (Trump) does know is how to get angry, white men to vote for him."- Bill Clinton

Without question the worst president we’ve ever had- Harry Reid on trump.

No question, Trump is racist.- America's heroine Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

All roads with you lead to Putin.- Pelosi to trump on his treason

#WeAccept
#MakeRacistsAfraidAgain
#NotMyPresident

Recognize human trafficking:
http://www.dhs.gov/blue-campaign
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 09:19 AM

My Mood: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by exceptionalfool View Post

700 bucks a week? that's a lot.. I don´t live in America but correct me if I am wrong but I heard there are people complaining that their salary is too low, 2800 a month is not bad. I live in europe .. are Americans just spoiled like that or something.. and the tax is high asf here....
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 09:51 AM
King of Carrot Flowers

My Mood: Fine
I don't know if this will make you feel better, but there are definitely more people than you would think that have no idea what they are doing in life. There are people who make tons of money but are still deeply unhappy because they were tricked into thinking money buys happiness. Capitalism is truly a curse.

May the wind be always at your back.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-09-2018, 10:20 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Mellow
The medical field is a safe bet. I've thought about trying radiology, although for me, I get bored to death by things that don't interest me.

Another option, is if yoire creative and good with your hands, you can make and sell things. I think it's pretty easy to start am online business nowadays.