Want out of the rat race that's low paying ( not enough to live on) entry level jobs - Page 2 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-11-2018, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Language: English
My Mood: Breezy
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurdishFella View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by exceptionalfool View Post
I work jobs with 6 days a week + OT just to make 700$ a week. It sucks. You get 4 days a month to live your life. I was looking for a way out, but now I don't care. I just waste time on my days off anyway.

Have you looked into applying for a role within a government bureaucracy? Once you get in, those jobs probably require the least amount of hours for the most moolah. Maybe a custodian at a community college or university? State universities sometimes have a pool of part-time temp employees for grounds keeping and such, which could be a way in.

How about picking up a trade and joining a union?

700 bucks a week? that's a lot.. I donīt live in America but correct me if I am wrong but I heard there are people complaining that their salary is too low, 2800 a month is not bad. I live in europe .. are Americans just spoiled like that or something.. and the tax is high asf here....
700 isn't bad at all.. plus I've already decided on my method out of this rat race and that's through a certificate program that pays Wells...then I'm gonna go for OTA. 🙂

We are in a reverie/ And everything you thought you knew isn't what it seems/ Only truth will set you free/ And I would never lie to you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 06:27 PM
Cooking Chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurdishFella View Post
700 bucks a week? that's a lot.. I donīt live in America but correct me if I am wrong but I heard there are people complaining that their salary is too low, 2800 a month is not bad. I live in europe .. are Americans just spoiled like that or something.. and the tax is high asf here....
Would you rather work 12 hours a day 6 days a week to make that, or 8 hours a day Monday through Friday to make that or double that? That's the perspective I am speaking from. Not all jobs are created equal.

700$ a week is enough for me, personally, but it depends on what kind of life you want to live. In America everyone's got their hands in your pockets, and I'd say the reality is that your love life, evolutionary success and happiness is held hostage by all the things you can't afford - all the financial security and comfort and status you can't offer your wife, kids, etc. So there is the pride and egoism and reality that comes with that. If European culture doesn't have this aspect to it than I would be curious to know what people value and aspire to in its place, and why.
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 08:02 PM
Social experimenter

My Mood: Amazed
Quote:
Originally Posted by exceptionalfool View Post
Man, that's young. You have all kinds of time to try things out and get something started for yourself. I'm 34 and while I've been able to explore a lot and am somewhat on the right track now, I still think "Man I'm so old. If only I started this at 27." The next guy who is 10 years older is gonna say "If only I started at 35."

The best time to start is now and you shouldn't give up on being an art teacher only because it challenges your weaknesses. Challenging our weaknesses is probably what we were made to do. If you settle for a job that is easy and innocuous to your fears, you might just become very bored and dissatisfied eventually, not growing to your full potential.

Good luck.
There are certain jobs that you are too old to go for. Some careers are very selective and one second of hesitation will find you off the career track without skills, working dead end jobs with nasty people and you'll wonder what happened to cause you to be surrounded by people so different from those you knew when you were in school.

complexity is at the root of insanity

post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 10:35 PM
Cooking Chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by asittingducky View Post
There are certain jobs that you are too old to go for. Some careers are very selective and one second of hesitation will find you off the career track without skills, working dead end jobs with nasty people and you'll wonder what happened to cause you to be surrounded by people so different from those you knew when you were in school.
What are some examples of jobs like this? For every one, I know there is someone, somewhere, older than me who did it. Maybe Google or Facebook wouldn't hire them, or they couldn't get in the track to become an executive at a fortune 500, but who cares? If someone can go to prison for 15-20 years, get out and make it happen for themselves, it makes you wonder why anyone even bothers speaking to barriers like this. Life isn't a one-size-fits-all pajama bottom and anyone resigned to what you're saying isn't gonna get anywhere.

I haven't focused on my life until recently because I made the mistake of chasing a love interest on the other side of the world, but luckily for me I'm not on my knees begging for any employer to accept me. I have a skill and two careers now, and things are moving forward. I usually find myself working with good people, we just work really long hours together for low pay in the manufacturing sector of my trade.
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 10:08 PM
Social experimenter

My Mood: Amazed
@exceptionalfool ,
Usually it's life that forces people's hand on careers. I mean even if you decide to be one of those "live to work" people you can gamble your time and money and still end up realizing life doesn't wait for you. It could be family, having kids, health, not wanting to die alone, a disaster, a bad actor, you name it. That's why I feel it's more common for kids fresh out of school because generally speaking more of them (not everybody, this is just in general) can put off life events and responsibilities.

complexity is at the root of insanity
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 03:32 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Brotha View Post
SA has definitely narrowed my job prospects without question too. I don’t work the jobs I have because I like them or they pay well, I work them because it’s what I can manage with my issues
That's the brutal truth for a lot of us unfortunately.

We've all got a little bit of royal blood in our veins, we're all in line for the succession, and if nineteen million, four hundred thousand, two hundred and eight people die, I'll be king tomorrow. It's not very likely but its a nice thought and helps keep me going.

P.COOK

post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 09:39 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverie101 View Post
My thing is... Most of the jobs that help you get out of this crazy rat race are either taylored for extroverts or I'm just not interested at all.

Like nursing ( I don't have the passion..plus schooling is hectic...my mom is doing that now)

Computer related jobs( not into it)

Phlebotomy ( I'm considering it but I hate needles and the sight of blood ....Idont want to waste my money on a certificate/field I won't do well in)

Customer service ( this is really decent. No blood ,needles and I wouldn't mind it I just have horrible phone skills. I would have to be thoroughly trained but I wouldn't mind it)

As I get older I just want a job that won't have me laboring from dawn to dusk to the point I can't enjoy life....

And that won't have me working for pennies

Please help.
Hey Reverie, hopefully I can help. I have not only social anxiety issues, but I also have high functioning autism. I still can hold a job down and still do my best to work on my social skills. I recommend looking into remote/work from home positions. I'm pretty lucky in that the company I work for has group chats so it isn't so lonely. We do a lot of customer service, selling and social media type projects, so if you're interested go ahead and PM me. We can try and figure something out.

ideasunlimitedonline.com
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Language: English
My Mood: Breezy

Hi :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ideasunlimitedonline View Post
Hey Reverie, hopefully I can help. I have not only social anxiety issues, but I also have high functioning autism. I still can hold a job down and still do my best to work on my social skills. I recommend looking into remote/work from home positions. I'm pretty lucky in that the company I work for has group chats so it isn't so lonely. We do a lot of customer service, selling and social media type projects, so if you're interested go ahead and PM me. We can try and figure something out.
Hey thanks for replying. i will PM you. I have been looking into work fom home jobs I'll PM you in just a bit.

We are in a reverie/ And everything you thought you knew isn't what it seems/ Only truth will set you free/ And I would never lie to you