Went to turn in resume. Ordered a bagel instead. - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-01-2013, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Unhappy

Went to turn in resume. Ordered a bagel instead.

Today I told myself that I would hand-deliver my resume to a bunch of places that are hiring because applying online hasn't been working at all. So, I went downtown and scoped out all the places that had help wanted/hiring signs and one of them was a nice little bagel shop. As I got to the counter I was about to say I saw the help wanted sign but suddenly a customer came in right behind me. And I freaked and just ordered a bagel instead....ugh.... feeling so ashamed of myself... and I didn't make it to any of the other places because I felt so terrible afterwards. And the guy who took my order kept giving me strange looks after that.

Does anyone have any tips on delivering resumes or conducting a job search? This is my first time doing this sort of thing. Well, guess I'll try again soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 03:44 AM
SAS Member

Gets easier after the first one. The more you do it the easier it gets and the more confident you come across. Good luck.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 12:42 PM
Transformation Master

If there is a "Help Wanted" sign on places of business then they are expecting people to come in and ask about the job posting. Don't feel awkward or terrible asking the person at the counter about it. 9 times out of 10, the person at the front will grab the manager and they'll come out to speak with you regarding the job. Dress nice/professional and have lots of copies of your resume in a hard bound folder so they stay nice n' crisp.

You'll get the hang of it.

We are all made of... star dust. Exploded stars are everything that we see, hear and feel on a daily basis. The death of a massive object brought upon life and it is glorious.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 09:24 PM
Tell me more

To be honest, this is a very cute story, imo. I could never do that though; that's why when I was searching for a part time, I applied mostly online for big brand name stores. But as other posters have said, once you get the courage to ask and turn in one resume, the next one gets easier and easier. I also like to dress up nicely to put myself in the mood; that and I find that taking deep breaths and meditating before "facing the world" helps a lot. I used to do that before going to work. Now, I don't even need to anymore.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-02-2013, 09:30 PM
Permanently Banned

My Mood: Angelic
I don't delivery resume unless its an ad i saw online that said so.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 05:10 PM
Galactic Melt

Just breathe and relax. Stay focused on the person in front of you. Ignore those around you--they're just background noise. Take your time and speak clearly. Slowly, if you must. Smile and be confident.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-03-2013, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Aww thanks guys for all the support!

For an update- actually, the day after I went to the bagel shop I had an interview at a temp agency and they said they had an assignment for me that same day... only it was as a receptionist. I got really nervous answering the phone and meeting all the office workers. But today was my second day and I'm starting to have more confidence already. I had to run and get someone a couple times when I didn't know what to do and stuttered really bad one time, but I actually left work in a really good mood. I'll definitely do some breathing exercises whenever I get too anxious... just have to be more relaxed.

Also, the workers at the temp agency also said they could have another assignment that is just typing out recipes for a chef- super easy, good pay and talking barely required! And it would probably last for the rest of summer too. I hope I can get that one... I'm excited! Even if it is just typing up recipes haha