Can a person with social anxiety... - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
SAS Member

Can a person with social anxiety...

Can a person with severe social anxiety and depression (loser) start studying at university? This is me and i want to return back to education but i have this kind of problems. What is your opinion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 12:12 PM
Tired

Language: English
Yes, I did. Almost finished my MSc now.

I would strongly advise seeing student support asap though, they are super good there, I pretty much get unlimited extentions on deadlines and ****, which was amazing (wouldn't have had a chance without, tbh).

but yeh, sure. Depression will be harder, but if you are able to mostly focus for an hour or two each day, and are intelligent, no reason why not.

Dimethylamidophenyldimethylpyrazolone
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 12:41 PM
SAS Member

My Mood: Tired
Yes you can. I would say the same as the post above, be really honest from the start with the uni, there is so much they can do for you if they are aware of your health. What are you wanting to studt?

"Sometimes I wish I wasn't as conscious as I am. It would be so much easier."

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 01:14 PM
monk

Language: english, silence
My Mood: Amazed
it really depends. I dropped out twice due to anxiety, but I had no support. but I completed a BA in philosophy eventually, philosophy is pretty anxiety-friendly since it's just reading and writing.

I made it through 2 different communications papers in 2 different courses. both were very difficult. made it through mock interviews in a different paper too, even though I froze. but both of those courses there came a point where I just didn't want to go back. lecturers were openly indifferent to my isolation. hostile on a few occasions. it's really disgusting.

"I take what is mine. I pay the iron price."
―Balon Greyjoy
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 06:53 PM
untitled document

Language: None
Other than the facts that I never did any group studying and never went to office hours and never raised my hand to ask a question in class and never made a friend, social anxiety didn't affect me at university. It was less problematic than high school, because it was much easier to be anonymous and not get picked on.

SA Game | Sacramento SA Meetup

"Many people need desperately to receive this message: 'I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.'" ― Kurt Vonnegut
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 07:09 PM
SAS Member

I've been thinking about going to university, as well. I haven't came to any conclusion on how to lessen anxiety enough to do so. Not just social, but general anxiety. I was a huge procastinator most of the time in primary and secondary school...that might become a larger issue in an evinronment where money and limited time are involved.

I wanted to study music theory, but I have a feeling I wouldn't quite be the teacher's tempo.

I don't care if it's dangerous or not...I'm going to town either way.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 07:18 PM
manic in Bali

Quote:
Originally Posted by theplayer View Post
Can a person with severe social anxiety and depression (loser) start studying at university? This is me and i want to return back to education but i have this kind of problems. What is your opinion
You're not a "loser" - you have anxiety and depression.

I didn't start my Uni degree until I was in my late 30's. It took me 3 years to start - each year I would enrol and try to go but couldn't stay in the lecture theatre. But on the third try I managed it - I just did one subject at first. Then I gradually did more and eventually did a year or so mostly full-time and finished it.

Before that I had done an Associate Dipoloma using benzos. I had to use a bit of benzo again to do the presentations for my tutorials at Uni but I even managed to go overseas and study there at one stage when I won a scholarship. It's possible to do it - but if I tried again I would tell the "disability" unit about my issues - and probably a few of the lecturers. One of mine actually found out years after I'd finished my degree and he said I should have told him - but I was too embarassed to at the time. I would nowadays though - I think there's more awareness of these things now.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 10:07 AM
'internet nerd'

Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
Yeah, didn't have severe depression though, but I've always struggled with motivation. I graduated with a third class degree (not sure how that translates in other countries, but it's the worst grade you can get basically,) still managed to graduate though. Was a very stressful course, other people I talked to studying different subjects seemed to have less work to do. They'd also get weeks off that my degree didn't for whatever reason. I didn't get any emotional/academic help/support either btw. So it's possible.

Quote:
Please don't attempt to raid Nevada to 'see them aliens' as part of the internet's joke du jour, the US air force will not be amused.
Slavoj Žižek on the horrors of tulips.

🎸

"Who are you to change this world?
Silly boy!
No one needs to hear your words.
Let it go."
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 10:52 AM
Don
Fupa King

Yes, but it can be hard though when you have social anxiety and don't form the same friendship/community others do in college.

I struggled with participation-based courses with in class discussions and presentations, but it's definitely possible to do it. The foreign language credits I had to have were the hardest for me. Most of my classes were just a lot of reading and essay writing and most of my professors wouldn't try and force me to speak. Or, they'd eventually catch on that I'm anxious about speaking in class and call me out significantly less or not at all. Wouldn't hurt to do what I didn't and talk about your struggles with the university to see if you can get some accommodation like others have suggested.

Life's Wack
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 08:25 AM
Father, Son & Holyzilla

My Mood: Mellow
Yes, so many people on here have completed their higher education degree.

Also, you're not a loser if you deal with social anxiety and depression. It sucks to deal with but it doesn't make any of us a loser at all
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 04:47 PM
Vainglorious little sh*t

Absolutely agree with everyone upthread. And you're not a loser. You're struggling with something immensely difficult and deserve kindness, compassion, understanding and help.

Anywho, I'm currently doing a 2nd bachelors and will pursue a masters in this field as well. Yes you can do it.

Be kind to yourself and respect your needs. I've never looked into student supports, but I will and you should too. Take your time. Go at your own pace, what you can handle. If that's 3- 4 classes a semester or 5-6, it's all good. The time will pass anyway. It's important to take care of yourself as you go. Continue taking baby steps forward. Also, it's fine to push/challenge yourself, but be mindful not to overwhelm yourself.

On enhanced mobile I don't receive notifications besides pms. Apologies if I don't respond.

Know your ACE (adverse childhood experiences) score?
Sometimes, SA is a symptom of significant developmental, attachment or interpersonal trauma (emotional neglect counts). If you're still stuck after you've tried SA treatments such as CBT and exposure, research C-PTSD and see if it resonates. Here's an awesome resource. Complex PTSD: From Surviving to Thriving
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 12:58 AM
SAS Member

Depends on how bad you feel. I had to drop out once OCD was added to my SA. Couldn't focus or study anymore.

If I didn't get OCD, I'm not sure I'd finish college either, it was stressful as it was already for my level of anxiety.

And if I did finish college, what would I even do with a degree? Job would be worse anxiety than school for me.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 01:06 AM
Mr Bean Stig Soldier

Language: ASCII, T-SQL
My Mood: Angry
Smile

such a perfectly-worded thread!

all tiniest words, not "YOU"! or DO!

still a question though

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Most_c...rds_in_English
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 01:18 AM
Mr Bean Stig Soldier

Language: ASCII, T-SQL
My Mood: Angry
Angry

avoid damaging adverts!

university touted, pimped courses advertised posters all schools!

capitalist revenue to get all people go do this with pretty pictures
so attractive
of Terminator, Short Circuit. all with sequels, encouraging all

get a piece of paper from it showing some fantasy of wisdom or knowledge. no job related. Engineering

Humanities? my nieces loving their philosophy? be a psycho? politician? lawyer

everything in life is so, so, so, so easy? all is instant? get everything immediately? everyone does.

Doctor or police??? All life is ALLL ALWAYS about HUMANS! who ever want a career not involving humans, all their flesh? learnt nothing possible without humans. phone is needed for Everything! speak to humans to get anything financial. nothing else without humans

Life also demands producing ore humans too, using their own bodies