Random frustration I had today reading the newspaper. - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 05:45 AM Thread Starter
loser

Random frustration I had today reading the newspaper.

When I read newspapers or magazines they are aways full of interviews with people who were aimless, had a hard youth or had some big misfortune when they were young. Then something happened and they suddenly found the meaning of their life and they succeeded in their dreams etc
It makes me feel depressive reading those stories. They often involve a sentence about attempting suicide etc but they managed to turn their life around and are now super happy and successful because they realized their dreams and ambitions.

Why do I never read about people who have no ambitions or dreams and therefore feel very alienated from other people and society? I will never turn my life around because I have no dreams, unless a dream of having a dream/goal counts as a dream Life is just a waste of time, I'm literally watching the clock tick till it's time to go to bed.

Does everyone have a dream/ambition/goal in life or is it just me that is being weird?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 09:34 AM
SAS's Chief Meteorologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by conantheworthless View Post
When I read newspapers or magazines they are aways full of interviews with people who were aimless, had a hard youth or had some big misfortune when they were young. Then something happened and they suddenly found the meaning of their life and they succeeded in their dreams etc
Maybe there should be a magazine for and about losers.

Nobody loves me but my dog, and I think he might be jivin', too.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 01:32 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conantheworthless View Post
Why do I never read about people who have no ambitions or dreams and therefore feel very alienated from other people and society? I will never turn my life around because I have no dreams, unless a dream of having a dream/goal counts as a dream Life is just a waste of time, I'm literally watching the clock tick till it's time to go to bed.

Does everyone have a dream/ambition/goal in life or is it just me that is being weird?
It is depressing reading that, but I am pretty sure that people who end up successes, their lives aren't fixed somehow. Most of them even if they make a fortune continue to work so they have a reason to at least get up in the morning. Even if you make a huge difference and do what you were meant to do, that can only last a few years before you run out of ideas or exhaust your potential. Any musician or athlete or artist or writer, after the first 5 years of their career, they are never usually close to the same ability as they were.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 05:01 AM
indo cloudhead

These people are incredibly unique. If it was common occurrence , it would not be in the paper.
Posted via Mobile Device
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 04:05 PM
'internet nerd'

Language: Eng (UK,) 下手な日本語
Most people's lives are slightly worse or slightly better than their parents. Those people you're reading about are exceptional not the average. Also tbh they tend to exaggerate certain things in the media to make it relatable.

Quote:
Please don't attempt to raid Nevada to 'see them aliens' as part of the internet's joke du jour, the US air force will not be amused.
Slavoj Žižek on the horrors of tulips.

🎸

"Who are you to change this world?
Silly boy!
No one needs to hear your words.
Let it go."
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 04:28 PM
Malevolent Dictator

My Mood: Brooding
Well, I'm very ambitious, and have always had big dreams and goals. Having dreams/goals, and being ambitious, and working hard, does not mean that you will be successful.

As others have said, the paper is only interested in stories that are in some way exceptional. You can't fairly compare yourself to exceptional people and circumstances. A good deal of luck is involved. Most people with dreams and ambitions fail to achieve anywhere near the success they hope for.

Are you sure you want to permanently delete this culture? [Yes] [No]
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 04:53 PM
SAS Member

I take it day by day. The only thing I really want is to travel and see as much of the world as I can