Exercise - Page 3 - Social Anxiety Forum

post #41 of 101 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 04:45 AM
SAS Member

Exercising: results

Hi!
Has anyone exercised 5 times per week for at least 6 months? What were the results? I started running two weeks ago. 6-7 km every second day. But I would like to know if anyone has some longterm results? For now my anxiety is a bit better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 101 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 05:03 AM
Tortured Soul

I just started walking/jogging/running every day for 1 hour 4 days ago. I dont know what kind of distance I cover (its easily at least 5km) as it varies depending on how much I run/walk. The real challenge is keeping it up for 6 months and maintaining a good diet. I try to run before eating anything in the morning and then stick to as much vegetables/protein/clean carbs as possible. I also drink a minimum of 1.5L of water per day.

I'll try to keep it up and if I remember I'll post back with results.
post #43 of 101 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 06:10 PM
SAS Member

Exercising is the most obvious way of staying healthy ,partnered with eating healthy foods. Shaving excess fat and improving your heart rate really is one good result of keeping good routine of exercise also takes away stress on work or other sources of stress

post #44 of 101 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 08:59 AM
SAS Member

Good ol' jog on the treadmill always helps!
post #45 of 101 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 09:38 AM
SAS Member

Im a sucker for workout dvd/tapes. I could never picture myself joining a gym. I always feel much better after I workout and it gives yo that little kick to jumpstart your day. Or if you work out in the evening you accomplished something lol
post #46 of 101 (permalink) Old 05-26-2012, 09:39 AM
SAS Member

I like doing aerobic exercise.
post #47 of 101 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 08:16 AM
SAS Member

I jog daily for about 15 mins and it helps a lot.
post #48 of 101 (permalink) Old 06-18-2012, 09:29 AM
We Are All Made Of Stars

Can someone break down what goes on in the body after exercise, specifically strenuous weight training?

I find my SA completely evaporates for about an hour after a tough workout and then slowly creeps back throughout the day.

What could be causing this sense of ease and relaxation afterwards that is evidently lacking at all other times of the day? I feel like it could be the key to a cure.
post #49 of 101 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 08:18 AM
SAS Member

I walk alot, I try to walk where there are no people and people who would not say hello when I do, I try to avoid those kind of people the best that I can. I love to walk in the cemetary, cause its so green, peaceful there, and NO PEOPLE! Or very few anyhow...I think walking everyday had done more to help me than any pill ever had, in fact meds made me very sick and I wont take them anymore, I only do natural things to help myself for now on, I also use self talk, talking bout only good things about myself and trying to erase those old tapes of my abusers.
post #50 of 101 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 08:31 AM
SAS Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jollygoggles View Post
Can someone break down what goes on in the body after exercise, specifically strenuous weight training?

I find my SA completely evaporates for about an hour after a tough workout and then slowly creeps back throughout the day.

What could be causing this sense of ease and relaxation afterwards that is evidently lacking at all other times of the day? I feel like it could be the key to a cure.
Erm, to name a few:

* Altered cortisol levels; weight training likely increases it, while light cardio is more likely to decrease it. Both low and high cortisol are known to cause anxiety
* Increased Dopamine release
* Increased Serotonin release
* Increased Endorphin release
* Increased BDNF levels in the brain

If you really want to know all about the effects of exercise on your brain, the following book is a good read:

Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain
post #51 of 101 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 09:19 AM
Stan the Man

My Mood: Mellow
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaneV View Post
Erm, to name a few:

* Altered cortisol levels; weight training likely increases it, while light cardio is more likely to decrease it. Both low and high cortisol are known to cause anxiety
* Increased Dopamine release
* Increased Serotonin release
* Increased Endorphin release
* Increased BDNF levels in the brain

If you really want to know all about the effects of exercise on your brain, the following book is a good read:

Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain
What this guy said. Exercise. Do it.

Always happy to talk to folks!
post #52 of 101 (permalink) Old 06-26-2012, 11:58 AM
TEAR DOWN THE WALL!

I started the Insanity DVD series 2 weeks ago and do that in addition to BJJ/kickboxing/MMA classes. (I also ran varsity XC/track all throughout high school.) Personally, I don't think it effects my level of anxiety at all. Except while in the moment. Training with sports clubs or in gyms is the only time I don't feel anxious around people. Perhaps I'm either too focused or too exhausted to feel anxiety? Either way, I feel anxious with the same people I comfortably trained with just 15 minutes later. However, exercise has had a very positive effect on my self-esteem. I feel a sense of satisfaction and superiority knowing that I can push my body farther than most people can. It keeps my body weight down to an acceptable number too. If I miss a few days of exercise, I feel even worse about myself than I usually do.
post #53 of 101 (permalink) Old 06-27-2012, 06:28 PM
We Are All Made Of Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secretly Pretentious View Post
Except while in the moment. Training with sports clubs or in gyms is the only time I don't feel anxious around people. Perhaps I'm either too focused or too exhausted to feel anxiety? Either way, I feel anxious with the same people I comfortably trained with just 15 minutes later. However, exercise has had a very positive effect on my self-esteem. I feel a sense of satisfaction and superiority knowing that I can push my body farther than most people can. It keeps my body weight down to an acceptable number too. If I miss a few days of exercise, I feel even worse about myself than I usually do.
I know all of these feels.
post #54 of 101 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 07:38 PM
SAS Member

Exercise would really help if it wasn't so harrd.. haha just kidding =P
post #55 of 101 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 05:00 AM
We Are All Made Of Stars

Today was legs at the gym and pushed hard. Walking is near impossible atm and is going to hurt tomorrow. feelsgoodman.jpg
SA disappeared again for an hour afterwards. Shame it doesn't last.

I can't be held responsible for the things I say or do.
post #56 of 101 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 05:09 AM
SAS Member

My Mood: Goofy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jollygoggles View Post
Walking is near impossible atm and is going to hurt tomorrow. feelsgoodman.jpg
Neah, that's not the way, you risk loosing muscle mass and going into over training that could get you the opposite state of ''feeling good''. This state can even appear the next day.

I use this one hour time after exercising to make the phone calls that I need to make, especially ones to girls
post #57 of 101 (permalink) Old 07-06-2012, 05:38 AM
We Are All Made Of Stars

I always ensure I get plenty of rest. Legs just give out for a few hours after lifting.

I can't be held responsible for the things I say or do.
post #58 of 101 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 09:01 AM
SAS Member

I love doing yoga. My body feels strong and flexible. KECHARA HEALING CHAKRAS “WHITE TARA” also gives me physical and mental healing. Try it for yourself.

sweetness is my weakness: yes
post #59 of 101 (permalink) Old 08-03-2012, 09:55 AM
chubby 11 year old girl

Sometimes when I exercise its really awesome and feels like I'm running away from my problems. Other times it just feels like a chore.
post #60 of 101 (permalink) Old 08-14-2012, 08:33 AM
SAS Member

I’m doing yoga because it really relaxes me. The Kechara healing chakras also help strengthen my physical and mental well being.

sweetness is my weakness: yes