Using Meditation To Focus On The Now - Social Anxiety Forum

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Using Meditation To Focus On The Now

Quote:
When anxiety grips you, it’s hard to think of anything beyond the reality of it. Your mind starts racing from one thing to the next and sooner than you think, a problem as small as a mistyped text message turns into the end of your marriage. When you’re dealing with anxiety, it’s easy to jump to the worst conclusions, but those predictions borne of stress rarely come to fruition. It’s not always possible to make your mind stop, but you can intervene in your brain’s processing by practicing mindfulness meditation. Using Meditation To Focus On The Now
Read more here:
http://www.socialanxietysupport.com/...us-on-the-now/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 03:20 PM
SAS Member

my only hope
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 03:23 PM
I Am Second

Language: American
My Mood: Inspired
Omg, my last counselor tried to teach me this. Epic fail. Didn't help at all.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2015, 03:53 PM
SAS Member

I got into Buddhism about 2 years, and meditation has been been a godsend for me. I suffer from ADHD and depression, and meditation makes me feel so much better about myself, and increases my ability to focus and concentrate on difficult task so much easier. It has reduced my anxiety as well, but was not as huge of a help with that as it was with other things.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2015, 02:14 PM
SAS Member

Makes perfect sense for me. Focus on the now, the present is very beneficial. The article explains an important aspect of this technique which i couldnt understand earlier. Good sharing
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2015, 03:03 AM
SAS Member

I think mindfulness is a great tool for SA and anxiety disorders.

It takes time for you to do it and if you can stay in the present moment all the time and accept the present moment for what it is you cant go wrong.

The mistakes people make(including myself) is we are never happy with the present moment so its almost like we are scared of it so we avoid it. Also to avoid it we live in the past and future and think of all our horrible past or what will go wrong in the future.

We always want something better in the present moment and not accept our present moment and that's a big mistake.

We really have to forget the past its behind us(as its not real anymore) and not worry about the future(also not real, as it hasn't happened and probable wont happen as we think it will) and live in the now and accept it(say to ourselves that we are not really bothered what happens next, don't even think about it and not wan't to change the moment) you will have peace. Think about it, what is really wrong with he present moment. Don't think about the past or future(forget your life story) is it really so bad in the now.

I know your thinking easier said than done and its true but practice makes perfect and if you get it right one day i promise you, you will have peace and joy.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-12-2015, 06:20 PM
SAS Member

Great explanation of mindfulness. Probably one of the more simple and easy to understand ones I have read.

AnthothyC you have some very wise words and I enjoyed reading your post. You have a great way of putting things and very applicable to mindfulness!

-Neo28

If anyone has figured out the meaning of life, please enlighten me.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 02:13 PM
manic in Bali

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyC View Post
I think mindfulness is a great tool for SA and anxiety disorders.

It takes time for you to do it and if you can stay in the present moment all the time and accept the present moment for what it is you cant go wrong.

The mistakes people make(including myself) is we are never happy with the present moment so its almost like we are scared of it so we avoid it. Also to avoid it we live in the past and future and think of all our horrible past or what will go wrong in the future.

We always want something better in the present moment and not accept our present moment and that's a big mistake.

We really have to forget the past its behind us(as its not real anymore) and not worry about the future(also not real, as it hasn't happened and probable wont happen as we think it will) and live in the now and accept it(say to ourselves that we are not really bothered what happens next, don't even think about it and not wan't to change the moment) you will have peace. Think about it, what is really wrong with he present moment. Don't think about the past or future(forget your life story) is it really so bad in the now.

I know your thinking easier said than done and its true but practice makes perfect and if you get it right one day i promise you, you will have peace and joy.

That's a wonderful post my friend. You blew me away with that.

I need to try and do this too. But thanks.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 02:14 PM
manic in Bali

Quote:
Originally Posted by VS Glen View Post

What a great image.